Welcome to the Fort Cherry School District
The Fort Cherry Board of School Directors is committed to providing every student the opportunity to grow and achieve.
The actions taken by the Board ultimately have both short and long-term impact in the classroom.
Therefore, Board of School Directors collectively and individually will . . .
- Promote public education as a keystone of democracy.
- Engage the community by seeking input, building support networks, and generating action.
- Champion public education by engaging members of local, state and federal legislative bodies.
- Prepare for, attend and actively participate in board meetings.
- Work together in a spirit of harmony, respect and cooperation.
- Participate in professional development, training and board retreats.
- Collaborate with the Superintendent as the Team of 10.
- Adhere to an established set of rules and procedures for board operations.
- Develop, adopt, revise and review policy.
- Align decisions to policy.
- Differentiate between governance and management, delegating management tasks to administration.
- Allocate finances and resources.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal laws.
- Adopt and implement a collaborative comprehensive planning process, including regular reviews.
- Set annual goals that are aligned with the comprehensive plan.
- Develop a financial plan that anticipates both short and long-term needs.
- Formulate a master facilities plan conducive to teaching and learning.
- Utilize appropriate data to make informed decisions.
- Use effective practices for the evaluation of the Superintendent.
- Assess student growth and achievement.
- Review effectiveness of the comprehensive plan.
- Promote open, honest and respectful dialogue among the board, staff and community.
- Encourage input and support for the district from the school community.
- Protect confidentiality.
- Honor the sanctity of executive session.
- Never use the position for improper benefit to self or others.
- Act to avoid actual or perceived conflicts of interest.
- Recognize the absence of authority outside of the collective board.
- Respect the role, authority, and input of the Superintendent.
- Balance the responsibility to provide educational programs with being stewards of community resources.
- Abide by the majority decision.